AWSN Scholarship $3000
AWSN is seeking a sponsor for the 2024 Scholarship Program. If you are interested in sponsoring the scholarship program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The AWSN Scholarship Program is part of larger equity efforts within the AWSN network. Through the guidance of a gender-based analysis plus (GBA+), the program uses an intersectional lens and is structured in a way that allows AWSN to distribute the awards in an equitable manner, limiting unconscious bias, stereotypes, and other barriers commonly faced by underrepresented groups.
Applicants must meet one of the following criteria:
- STEM students who are continuing full-time undergraduate studies, entering their third to final year of a STEM undergraduate program in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics in Alberta
- STEM re-engaging professionals returning to an Alberta STEM program to re-educate and/or update STEM credentials after an extended career gap (2+ years)
Applicants must be attending an Alberta-based institution and reside in Alberta for the duration of the upcoming academic year (not including co-op programming). AWSN scholarship recipients are not eligible for the Women in STEM Scholarship from the Government of Alberta within the same academic year, as AWSN and Alberta Culture and Status of Women are working together to distribute STEM scholarships in an equitable manner.
The application includes the following sections:
- Personal Information
- Identifying Factors
- Background Context
- Three (3) Essays
1. Leadership can come in many forms - both formal and informal. Discuss your involvement within your communities - from educational projects within your school, to volunteering within clubs/organizations, to how you support your greater community. Some things to consider:
- Why did you get involved?
- How do you believe your involvement shows initiative and/or innovation?
- Have your efforts strengthened others or led to change?
- Did your involvement help you to personally overcome barriers to your STEM education?
- How long have you been involved?
- What do you believe the long-term positive impacts of your involvement will be? (Min 200 words, max 400 words.)
2. Please describe your education and career goals, including why you registered for your chosen program. Discuss how your lived experiences inform your work and/or helps to guide you on your current career path. (Min 100 words, max 200 words)
3. We understand that many students have financial pressures. Please share with us how the AWSN Scholarship could assist you in the pursuit of your education and career goals. (Min 50 words, max 100 words.)
- Supporting Documents:
- Please upload a copy of the most recent transcript (.jpg, .pdf, .png). Unofficial transcripts are accepted. Note: for re-engagers, a copy of proof of enrolment in the STEM program (.jpg., pdf, .png) is also acceptable. If selected, you will be asked to verify current contact information, provide proof of enrollment in an Alberta STEM educational institution, and an official transcript to receive your scholarship
- A reference letter, written within the last 12 months, which speaks to your leadership experience/potential - formal and/or informal. (.doc, .docx, .pdf)
- Consent and Agreement
If the applicant wishes to mail in an application, please download the “Printable Application Form”. Fill in the application and attach supporting documents as required. Submit the package to:
AWSN, Attention: Scholarship Committee, Box 1, 223 12th Avenue SW, Calgary, AB, T2R 0G9.
- To be determined pending the confirmation of a sponsor for the 2024 Scholarship Program.
Program Guide and Questions
Past Award Recipients
2020: Brielle Lillywhite
2019: Jasmine McDermott